Monday 16 September 2013

Book review: Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen

Good morning fellow bloggers, blog readers!

I hope you are having a wonderful morning! It is definitely turning into autumn out there isn’t it? Absolutely frrreeezzzinnng! Anyways, so today I thought it would be nice to do the first of many book reviews. I’ll give you a quick recap of my reading life…I loved to read when I was younger, then towards the end of high school/throughout my first few years at uni I fell out of the habit and almost entirely lost my love for reading.

 

So a few years ago, maybe towards the end of my 3rd year at uni, my mum and I were looking through a charity shop (I don’t usually tend to shop in charity shops although I really should start because you do find some absolute bargains!) and I stumbled upon this beautiful book. It had a turquoise glittering cover with a gorgeous white ball gown on the front. And so, I read the summary on the back of the book. 
The story sounded similar to the novel ‘Practical Magic’ by Alice Hoffman. However, once I started reading Garden Spells, I found that it was quite different. Yes, it did have some similarities; two sisters, an evil ex-boyfriend and a sprinkle of magic but this story completely captured my heart. Maybe it’s because I haven’t actually read Alice Hoffman’s book and only seen the movie…but honestly, Garden Spells made me fall in love with reading all over again! I began to feel like a part of me had been filled. Not that in the sense of a loved one leaving an empty space in your heart, it was more like a space at the corner of my mind had been abandoned since I turned the last page of the very last book I read.  And Garden Spells had reawakened this old dusty, poorly maintained part of my mind…
Since reading ‘Garden Spells’, I have read all of Sarah Addison Allen’s novels and thoroughly enjoyed every single one. These days, you will rarely find me on my lunch hour without a book! If you feel that you have lost your passion for reading, pick up a copy of this book. Please, it is honestly a beautifully written tale and you will keep it with you for the rest of your life. I know I will… : )
 
xoxo


No comments:

Post a Comment